Note: This post written by Hubs.
We adopted him at about 6 weeks of age, essentially a late wedding gift; he's been with us from the beginning. When we moved to Rochester he was eight months old; he loved scampering around in frigid cold weather with feet of snow on the ground. When I was working late nights (and occasional overnights) in the hospital, Hannibal was Meredith's constant companion. When I came home - whenever that was - he was always the first to greet me, barking and whining until I returned the greeting. When strangers came to the door, he was the guardian who scared off more than a few solicitors. And when we started to grow our family, he was the enthusiastic welcoming committee for each child when they came home for the first time.
He loved our kids, and they loved him. Near the end, even Garrett, who's just started talking, walked over to Hannibal when he was laying in the yard a little too much and said, "You otay? You otay Han-bal?" Up until the last day, he never minded when some kid (as long as it was one of ours) came up to him and yanked his massive ears or pulled his tail. His personality - easygoing, gentle, and deferent - was perfect for our growing family.
We were indescribably blessed to have him for a little over nine years, and those who loved him most were fortunate to have opportunities to spend precious moments with him near the end. Last night I sat outside with him and thanked him for everything he had done - and been - for our family; it took a while because there was a lot to cover. I reminded him of everything he'd destroyed as a puppy, like Mer's entire CD collection and my leather sandals (which I wore all day today). I told him I was sorry that with each new child Meredith and I had, he had been relegated down the ladder of importance; he seemed to say that he didn't mind. I told him that his pain would soon be over, and he said he was ready. Now it's our turn to heal, as all we have are memories that we will cherish for the rest of our lives.
All the way to the end, through all his pain and discomfort, even though he didn't understand everything that was happening - he was Hannibal. His personality never changed for second as he simply accepted whatever came in life, adapted, and moved on. "We're moving from Little Rock to Rochester? Let's go." "You're going in to work while she's staying here and going to bed? Whatever - I'll watch the house while you're gone." "We're moving from Rochester to Texas now? All right then - but you do realize that I have a permanent fur coat, right?" "We're going to the vet for the last time, aren't we? It's OK. You hang in there." Hannibal will be missed terribly, but we are extremely grateful to our Father who gave him to us for nine years and immeasurably enriched our lives through him.







12 comments:
Such a sweet and gentle giant:) He will be missed by many. Great post and pics of the big man:) Love him and so sorry you had to say goodbye.
Great job, Faber. I know yesterday was a tough day for you guys. Prayed for you all day and couldn't get you off my mind. Love you guys!
Wonderful post Faber! I am so sorry for your loss!!!! You honored him well in your words. I am glad that I was able to have met such a gentle giant!
What an amazing tribute to such an awesome animal! Great job Faber! Had you guys on my mind all day yesterday...still praying today. Hugs!
J was with Katie this weekend and we knew this day was coming. I've been watching for this post. I know how hard it was for you both. There is a much greater love and understanding that accompanies having a dog live in your home, as opposed to outside of it. We will both be praying for you, M, and the kids.
Faber you put this so nicely. Hannibal had a way with people. The first time I met him I did not know what to think....but those big brown eyes and his gently way made me love him. We are thinking of you guys and will miss Hannibal dearly. Love ya'll
Just perfect. Hannibal will always be a wonderful dog and missed VERY much. We love ya'll and are so sorry.
Riley will definitely miss "sparring" with him and telling him who was boss (although we all know it was him). ; )
That totally made me tear up!! People having to part with beloved pets is a sad ordeal, but I think it's great that you put your own feelings aside to do what was best for your dog, which was to take away his pain. I can tell just by the pictures what a sweet dog he was.
Beautifully written, Faber. We're praying for the healing of your hearts!
Faber, what a sweet tribute to your first child. Of course you made me cry. Nothing like a great dog, is there? The Browns are praying for you. Hannibal will be sorely missed.
I am crying....you can tell Hannibal was a sweet boy. So very sorry.
Meredith, I'm sorry about this. There is something about caring for a dog.....I'll be thinking of you guys.
Post a Comment