Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Inspection

My mom texted me today and asked how the "inspection" went.  She was referring to our homestudy yesterday, but the word "inspection" made me smile. It REALLY felt that way! 




I'm not sure this would have passed. I keep a bowl of apples on the bar, and a little rat around here keeps finding his way to them.  At noon yesterday, I had 4 perfectly good apples. By snack time, I was down to 1. I think I'll put them back in the fridge.


Childproofing. This is an interesting concept. We've had a toddler in the house for roughly 8 years give or take about 6 months.  You would have thought that we were "CHILDPROOF" by now!  I've spent what seems like a full month childproofing our already "childproof" home. I didn't realize how UNSAFE our children have been...ha!  


We NOW have a medicine cabinet which is locked with a key!  Probably not a bad idea....


...and who ever thought we needed a fire extinguisher upstairs and downstairs?




Check!


I cleaned out every drawer in our house and locked away every cleaner or chemical, and the social worker didn't even check the drawers.  Do you know what it feels like to have a house that is finally organized?  It's awesome and quite a new concept for me! 


The only thing we were were lacking????




Yep....ordered one today. I guess I need to order some acceptable jammies to wear at night in case I have to help the children down the ladder in the middle of the night!


Chubby Cheeks, we are going to be ALL SET!


Last night I was very relieved to have that portion of the process over. I realized that I was very hungry. One thing I LOVE to eat when it's cold outside is CHEESE SOUP!!!
It's my mom's recipe, and it is WONDERFUL!


1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can chicken broth
1 cup of milk
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
1/2 stick of butter (I've been known to accidentally use a whole stick...and it never hurts)
6 or 7 slices of american cheese


Sautee butter, onions, and carrots.  Add the remaining liquid ingredients. Lastly, stir in cheese slices and stir until melted and soup heated through. 


DELICIOUS!!!





4 comments:

Laura said...

That's wonderful. I am so nervous about our home study. The ironic thing is that I used to do home studies for a living as a Social Worker :) I have been organizing and rearranging all week. I need to get a lock box for our meds too!!! We have a 2nd story to our house but it's just a loft; no bedrooms. Wonder if I need one of those ladders? HMMMM!! So many things to think about!!

Mandy said...

You are making the rest of us look bad!! You safety girl, you! Glad no one checks my house for that. Yikes!! So proud of you. This baby is coming into a, not only safe home, but an amazing home!!

Jennifer said...

Congrats! On the upcoming addition and the safeness!
It's interesting that you started 9/23 too. :)
Looking forward to following your journey and would love to hear the scoop sometime!

Foster Mamalion said...

Now, those fire extinguishers are rated at 5lbs right? That is just for foster care! Also, any narcotics must be double locked. Whew! Seems silly, but we had so many OTC med wandering around the house that I am glad we consolidated before they all expired! We actually have an over the door shoe holder with clear pockets that we put our NON lock down drugs in and the closet locks. Then our lock down drugs are locked in the closet in a tackle box with yet another lock. That's a lot of locks for Locke. LOL