..as in butterflies. Allie's class at school did a butterfly garden, and she couldn't quit talking about it. Poor Mary really wanted a piece of the action, so she saw one at the zoo gift shop and had to have it. We brought the "shelter" home, and sent off for our caterpillars. After 10 days...they arrived! You would have thought it was Christmas.
Nice. They came with their own food and instructions. Everything happened just as they said...guess they are predictable creatures.
I never thought we'd be so excited about watching this whole process, but I noticed myself checking in on them quite a bit during the day....and hubs too. In this pic, you can see the silk starting to form, and one of them is in the "j" shape. He's attached to the lid where he will form his chrysalis. Once the chrysalises are all formed, you remove the lid and tape it to the top of the garden.
About 7 days later, the beautiful painted lady butterflies emerged. Two of them emerged within what seemed like minutes. I just happened to be walking by and saw them wiggling, so we caught them hatching on FILM!!! The first video below is of one of them coming out. The second video is of us releasing them today.
This whole process took a little less than a month. I barely caught the butterfly taking off. (I circled him) He's probably glad to be out of here!




1 comment:
So so neat! What a fun thing to do.
Post a Comment