Beautiful child.
You have been home 5 months.
This past month for me has been the roughest yet. About 5 weeks ago, David went through a really rough patch which lasted 3 weeks. I know he's 2. I've had three two year olds and this seemed very different than the terrible twos.
His normal disposition is happy and light hearted. He does have a hot temper, and when he doesn't get his way, he's going to tell you about it.
This was different. Shrieking, hitting, scratching. He just seemed so out of sorts pretty much the whole time he was awake. It wore me way down. I cried almost every day after the second week because it was affecting not only me but also the other kids. The whole house was just very edgy, and this was coming after months of being more edgy than "normal."
Two weeks ago, his normal happy self returned. He has been so secure. We made some adjustments on how we discipline him, and he responded so positively. He has been more secure and happy the past two weeks, than he has the past 5 months. It's been such a HUGE relief.
His language has just exploded lately. He's not quite putting two words together regularly.
One of my favorite moments this months was when he was struggling to get up a hill. I was clapping and tell him he could do it.
At the top of the hill, he shouted,
"Mamma, I did it."
I think it was his first sentence in English, and I cried then too. I cried not because he spoke a sentence but because when he said it, he was so very proud of himself. I felt so proud of him too.
Adoption as anyone will tell you is such a process. The paperwork, the wait, the coming home, the being home, the process of bonding and attaching. I'll be honest, emotionally I've had greater highs and greater lows with this experience than with almost any other. There have been times where I've thought, "What have we done, or Lord, what have you done?" Many times. Yes, I said that. It's true.
But there have also been many times, where I've thought, "What would my life be like if not for this child?" And there have been more times, where I've felt the Lord just saying, "Just rest in Me, and I will take care of all of you." And He really has. I've learned more about myself, about God's faithfulness, about my husband and other children in 5 months than I have in years. I've seen Garrett turn from a very upset, angry little boy, into a big brother. He loves to show David new things. He will play with him for literally hours now without a squabble. Garrett is happy again. He's proud to be a big brother, and he will tell you that!
It really is hard to put into words. I really can't even imagine what 1 year out will be like. I feel like at this point, I'm just now starting to breathe a little easier. NOW, we are starting to feel more normal. (Are you laughing at me? Do I say that every month?)
Thank you for letting me have my monthly ramble. You only have 7 more monthly posts to endure!
His normal disposition is happy and light hearted. He does have a hot temper, and when he doesn't get his way, he's going to tell you about it.
This was different. Shrieking, hitting, scratching. He just seemed so out of sorts pretty much the whole time he was awake. It wore me way down. I cried almost every day after the second week because it was affecting not only me but also the other kids. The whole house was just very edgy, and this was coming after months of being more edgy than "normal."
Two weeks ago, his normal happy self returned. He has been so secure. We made some adjustments on how we discipline him, and he responded so positively. He has been more secure and happy the past two weeks, than he has the past 5 months. It's been such a HUGE relief.
His language has just exploded lately. He's not quite putting two words together regularly.
One of my favorite moments this months was when he was struggling to get up a hill. I was clapping and tell him he could do it.
At the top of the hill, he shouted,
"Mamma, I did it."
I think it was his first sentence in English, and I cried then too. I cried not because he spoke a sentence but because when he said it, he was so very proud of himself. I felt so proud of him too.
Adoption as anyone will tell you is such a process. The paperwork, the wait, the coming home, the being home, the process of bonding and attaching. I'll be honest, emotionally I've had greater highs and greater lows with this experience than with almost any other. There have been times where I've thought, "What have we done, or Lord, what have you done?" Many times. Yes, I said that. It's true.
But there have also been many times, where I've thought, "What would my life be like if not for this child?" And there have been more times, where I've felt the Lord just saying, "Just rest in Me, and I will take care of all of you." And He really has. I've learned more about myself, about God's faithfulness, about my husband and other children in 5 months than I have in years. I've seen Garrett turn from a very upset, angry little boy, into a big brother. He loves to show David new things. He will play with him for literally hours now without a squabble. Garrett is happy again. He's proud to be a big brother, and he will tell you that!
It really is hard to put into words. I really can't even imagine what 1 year out will be like. I feel like at this point, I'm just now starting to breathe a little easier. NOW, we are starting to feel more normal. (Are you laughing at me? Do I say that every month?)
Thank you for letting me have my monthly ramble. You only have 7 more monthly posts to endure!

4 comments:
Precious post Meredith!! I just loved it. I think David was making sure you guys were really his forever family; like if he let you have it, were you still going to be there in the morning? He knows now that you are truly forever. I'm proud of your honesty! He is very beautiful and I look forward to next month's "ramble"!!
I love this post! It made me tear up when he said "Mamma, I did it!" So much in that one little sentence!!!
It is all worth it, but oh so hard!
beautiful picture! we are so thankful to the Lord for His placing your family in our lives. Our time with you blessed us in so many ways. thank you for sharing your journey as it is such an encouragement to so many. love to you, kimmie. [aka. ferdy :)]
Precious post and precious family!! David is so blessed and so are WE!!! LOVE you all.
Post a Comment