Bunny and Pappy came down for a visit after Pine Cove.
I have been terrible about taking pics! I took 2 pictures while they were here, and Pappy's eyes were closed. I'm losing my edge. My kids are so tired of posing!
We had a great quick visit!
My parents were in town for my niece's birthday, so they came over and visited with my in-law parents. It had been a long time since they've seen each other, and they enjoyed catching up.
At Pine Cove, we get a different "theme" from the speakers every year. This year was parenting which was a first for us. It was GOOD. The speaker so enjoyed his seven, yes seven kids. He talked about being a "yes" parent. I am so quick to say "no" when their requests are not convenient. We as a family are often so busy, that I'm constantly saying, "no we don't have time for that" or "no not right now." And of course as parents, we say "no" all through the day just correcting behavior. His point was try to stop and say "YES" for a change!
The girls are always asking to paint. My response is always, "The boys will want to paint, too, and it's too crazy, so we will do it later." I had tons of paint because we used to paint all the time. So when they asked this week, I said, "YES!" They spent HOURS painting.
I walked in from Tae Kwon Do with G and needed to get supper started tonight. Mary asked to make cookies, and I said, "YES!"
Hubs was so proud (He's the YES parent). I'm so schedule oriented that I get upset when we get off track. I burst the bubble tonight. We made cookies first, then cooked dinner! We ate 30 min late, and no one SUFFERED! ha.
So to my kids, I didn't always say NO. Here's your proof:)




3 comments:
OOOOh, that was so good!! I'm the NO parent as well. Thanks for the great reminder
Was your speaker Eddy Shigley by any chance?? He was the director at the Towers when I worked there...but not just a director - a father figure, spiritual mentor, example of a Godly man in my life. His wife Esther is AMAZING and mentored me in college. If he's who you're talking about (I mean, who else has 7 kids??) then I'm so thankful you got to hear the Lord through Eddy's words. This was really good for me to hear too...I'm much more the "schedule oriented" mom and NOT the "yes" mom. Thanks for sharing. And, now I will stop bombarding your blog with comments!
Ashley I've never figured out how to do follow up comments! YES it was Eddy!!! Esther wasn't there because she needed to be with her family, but all their kids were and him. He spoke of Esther a TON and his kids and I was just blown away!!! I can't believe she MENTORED you in college! That is AWESOME (who does that sound like?) We found everything you said of him to be exactly true! Learned so much...when ya'll coming to camp??!!!
Post a Comment