Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Color Mamma Happy


Just to clarify the post title:  I did not set out to be "Mamma."  Just a preference thing.... nothing wrong with "mamma", but I wanted to be called "Mommy."  (I feel like I had some say in it:)  I was "Mommy" until Allie was exactly 4.  For some strange reason, (because kids are strange) she started calling me "mamma."  I fought it and fought it.  I asked her repeatedly to call me "Mommy," but before long Mary started talking, and what did she say?, "Mamma."  At that point..I quit fighting. 

Before you decide that this post is a total waste of time....

We've been fighting the "which cup is mine?" war for several years.  My MIL came up with a GREAT idea a long time ago.  When we come home, we all have a certain color cup which we are to use.  The rule has not been as strictly enforced in recent years because all the grand kids have taken over the place.  

The hubs and I decided with the upcoming arrival of another child, that we have reached the "color assignment" stage in our family.


I let them choose.  Mary is red, Allie green, Garrett blue, and CC is orange.   

It has worked like a charm!  I'm so happy.  You know how many questions kids ask everyday.  Well now, I have probably 12 less questions to answer each day and that is GOLDEN.  

6 comments:

A.K.W. said...

What a neat way to know which cup is theirs! My niece and nephew are half Indian and they shortened Amma (means Mom in Tamil- my sister-in-law's language) and they now call her Ma, my nephew has called me Ma a couple of times growing up, he's 3 now and his big sister is almost 7.

He calls me Aunt Ama now.

Blessings,

Amy

Mandy said...

Hey. I still drink out of my orange cup at Afton's house every time I go home! : )

Great idea at your own house too. Perfect.

My boys said...

The best part of the post? The wet cup!

Mer said...

Mandy!! I'm not surprised AT ALL! ha. Kelly...of course it's wet. Why would I waste 3 seconds of my life drying it off?

Mommy Lion said...

Mark has his name on a cup at my mom's house...it's a "tall yellow" that he and my step sister would "fight" over so he wrote his name on it!
So proud of you!

Justine said...

The Mommy/Mamma thing happened to me, too. I still spell it Mommy, though. Apparently I am in denial.