It's AUGUST!
Happy 2 months at home big D:)
The blog can be deceiving...
...because I can show you all his happy faces:)
For real?
The first month he was home, he portrayed almost a "pleaser" personality. He didn't understand much, but he knew that nodding his head "yes" received a good response from us.
Our second month.
The honeymoon ended.
He learned to say no (and it's a snappy, scary no..ha) and when he becomes upset he exhibits a shrill scream that will pause any human in their tracks. I would equate it to a baby pig that is running around the farm trying to avoid being turned into bacon. It is very unnerving (just normal crying is a welcome relief) and has really tested this mamma.
Every day he seems more settled/attached, but I'm learning that does not mean he gets easier. It means he's not afraid to portray his real personality which at this point is a bit on the strong-headed end of things.
I am not new to toddlerhood, and I know they are frustrating little people. However, trying to bond/attach to a child who is screaming and unhappy a lot of the time, has tested me and challenged me more than most things. Love is a choice. Love is a choice. Love is a choice.
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
Please do not question my love for the little guy! I love him to pieces. My point is, some days love is hard whether it be an adopted child or a biological child. I think God uses children to refine us, to strip us of our selfishness, and to give us a picture of how He chooses to love us unconditionally in all our ugliness.
We've seen some positive things this month too!
He is a REALLY GOOD SLEEPER. I AM SO THANKFUL! I cannot even tell you his schedule or you'd barf all over this blog if you have a child who doesn't sleep well.
His words are being added daily.
Mamma, Daddy, Mary, Alloe (allie), boy, puppy (his favorite stuffed animal), Emmy (my sister), Abba (abbott), yes, no, bath, pool, towel, hot, tee tee, boo boo, ouch, nanna, papoo, pappy, bubby (bunny), ball, doll, popsicle (poppa dee do)...I could go on for quite a bit.
These are the words he says intentionally. He can repeat many words when asked. He still mostly uses signs to communicate.
He drinks milk and water and has a sign for both. He loves to sing. He didn't watch tv until recently, but he loves Blue's Clues! He loves to be on his tricycle outside. He does NOT like the pool much anymore and it's a big job to get him in a swim suit and floatie. That is a big challenge because the other kids want to swim, and he has to stay outside while we swim. Oh well:)
Ahh...that's our two months. I am reminded every day that every day is a NEW day with a two year old.
3 comments:
Poppa dee do is the cutest thing. :) I pray for strength and patience for you as you continue the bonding/attachment process and roller coaster of everything else. You are a treasure! (and a great writer!) Thank you for sharing yourself!
I'm not a big commenter, but today I am compelled. "Love is a choice. Love is a choice. Love is a choice." If you only knew how deeply that resonates with me I'm sure we'd be fast dear friends! I'm sure you think your babies are growing up so fast, but really they are still so young. May these trying toddler years be your toughest years as a momma, but just in case they are not, may you always remember His faithfulness during these years and the truth that we can love at all because He first loved us. Have prayed for you all throughout this process and will continue to do so. You are one lucky momma! - Kelley (friend of Katie's)
Uggh! Been there, done that, getting ready to do it again. Praying for a sleeper this time. It will get better! Love is a choice and soon it will even be more of a feeling. It will creep up on you...
Praying for you!
Post a Comment