Saturday, December 8, 2012

A tale of 2 "T'was the night befores"

T'was the night before our long flight home.  Our 23 month old "baby" lay on the pillow next to me in a hotel....fretful.  He'd had a good day, but bed time brought an unfamiliar routine, unfamiliar people, an unfamiliar language, an uncertain tomorrow. He knew nothing but to scream in frustration.  He landed on big sister's chest, an image I'll NEVER forget.  He tossed and turned all night as I did the same.  Awake all night, panic started to take over.  My heart raced for what seemed like hours as the clock ticked away.  I was terrified of an 18 hour travel day to home....anxious like I've never been before.  Lord, I don't even know this child! 

T'was the night before our long awaited court date.  Our nearly 2 and a half year old lay on the pillow next to me in a hotel....peaceful.  He'd had a good day, and bed time brought a familiar close to the day.  He'd spent the evening at his cousins' house where he could already say their names and exhibited a happy inflection, "Mando's?" when we announced where we were going.  He asked for "Pappy?" before we even opened the door for our visit.  He'd exclaimed "CAKE!" when he saw the cookie cake which read, "Forever Ours."   I lay awake listening to him suck on his fingers (oh how I only WISH for a passy now!).  His fingers became a source of comfort 6 months ago, and now they are shriveled every morning, so for now, I will thank his fingers for good and peaceful sleep.  I slept all night, only anxious about a 2 year old missing nap time and having a fit during the ceremony.  My heart did not race.  You see, when this boy woke up on this special day,  I knew that he likes the light turned on immediately when I walk in the room.  I knew that he likes me to get him dressed immediately all the way down to his shoes.  I knew that he likes eggs and cereal for breakfast and that he loves to get in the car to take his siblings to school, but is sad when they are not around to play during the day.  I knew that he likes to brush his teeth often.  I knew that he gets more than excited over a popsicle and that he'd rather ride his plasma car down the hill on his adoption day.  I knew that he would get so excited about his favorite "la" on the radio.  I knew that he would ask for a kiss when his mosquito bite started itching from two days ago at "Patti's" house.  I knew that he'd scream for "Puppy and Baket" at bed time tomorrow night because he'd be so tired from his big day.  I knew all this....

because I'm his "Mamma."  

I posted the video of our ceremony so our friends and family wouldn't miss it!



More pics to follow:)




11 comments:

My boys said...

TEAR and more TEARS! We love you sweet David!

Janette said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!

Justine said...

Perfect timing! I will likely be feeling all of those first emotions in just a few days and it is so good to be reminded of the second set. Beautiful! Congratulations!!!

Mandy said...

Precious. Love it. Love your whole family.

Katie said...

Love this! So perfect and sweet. Another big step! Love you!

Erin and Ryan said...

Just started following your blog :) What a wonderful experience -- congrats!

Mommy Lion said...

oh my goodness! Even I cried!!! Love it and love this blessed family! Miss you guys more than you know right now!

Sara said...

What an amazing day your family will always treasure!

Congrats to the entire family!

becca said...

Beautiful post, I loved the video and held it together until the last line. I cried like a baby at "forever and ever." Congrats to you all!!!!

The Mitchell Family said...

I was about to write Becca's ^^^ exact words. Beautiful post Mer! Tears and more tears at the end of that video! Thanks for sharing

Melissa said...

Tears!! So sweet and so special, love you guys!