Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Speech meet

One thing our school does that I have a love/hate relationship with is speech meet.  Children first through sixth grades participate by choosing a selection from one of three categories.  They work on it for about a month and then present  before a panel of judges as well as the parents of their respective grade.


For Allie, and some kids, this is an exciting time to be the center of attention, and to have people listen to only you.  Allie always looks forward to it.

For Mary, and some others like myself, this is a dreadful task.  She'd rather do anything BUT have people look at her much less have to speak while they look at her. 

I encouraged her that this would be so good for her because  one day, when it is important that she share her opinions, convictions, or information in front of a group, that she would have had a lot of practice.  I told her I didn't start until 11th grade, to which she responded with more tears, "Then why do I have to start in first?"

So that wasn't the explanation she wanted.  After several days of tears, she accepted the fact that she wasn't going to be let off the hook.  She rose to the occasion and worked hard.  She spoke softly, but didn't miss a word and even made eye contact!

Here is one video including both girls' selections.


2 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh bless her. I was nervous reading this post and watching it. She did great!

becca said...

Yay Mary! Wonderful job sweet girl!!!!!