Sunday, May 26, 2013

Last Day

The girls had a great year.  I can't believe summer is officially here!


We are quickly trying to implement some "summer sanity" rules. #1 NO GOING OUT OF YOUR ROOMS BEFORE 7:00.

I'm an early bird, and if I know there will be quiet until 7:00, I can get up early and get some alone time...thus filling my summer sanity bucket:)


5 persons home everyday = 15 plates of food / day and that doesn't include dad.

I found this easy little utensil caddy at Target.  I slapped some chalkboard paint on it, bringing us to "summer sanity" rule #2:  HELP YOURSELF!


So welcome Summer!  

A year ago today we started our long journey to Korea to get David.  What a year...that's a whole another post, but it does bring me to a documentary we watched last night called "Stuck."  My friend, Libby, recommended it a while back, and we just haven't had time to watch.

The most frequently asked question while we were in the process to adopt David was, "Why does it take so long?"

The trailer describes it, but the film itself follows four families who children were "stuck" in the paperwork.  Our wait for David was 20 months, but he was cared for and not neglected one single day.  This is not the case for the majority of orphans world wide.  They have families in the US but are forced to wait years in conditions that are unfathomable and will impact them for the rest of their life because the first few years of development are so crucial to their physical, mental, social, and emotional health.

The papework debacle is meant to protect waiting families and waiting children, but as this documentary portrays, the system is failing resulting in a steep decline in international adoptions but worse in an incline in institutionalized children who may never know a life with a family.  This film gives a  explanation into what is going on within the governments to bring some understanding about this crisis.  



No comments: